Accessible Community Advisory Committee
Purpose of the Accessible Community Advisory Committee
To promote greater awareness of disability issues and to improve access for and inclusion and acceptance of persons with disabilities in Spokane County.
Nexus Inland NW/Lilac Services for the Blind
1206-1212 N. Howard St., Conference Room
Spokane, WA 99201
[Wheelchair ramp available on South side of the building]
Meets the fourth Thursday of every month from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
NOTE: Our monthly meetings during the Holiday Season will occur on October 22, November 19 and December 17 (same time and location).
Term: 3 years
Details: Appointments of members shall be made from a list of applicants, including interested persons with a diverse range of disabilities who are knowledgeable in identifying and eliminating attitudinal, programmatic, communication, and physical barriers encountered by persons with disabilities. The list may also include family members, advocates, representatives from local disability-related organizations or educational institutions, and other individuals who are interested in promoting greater awareness of disability issues, and acceptance, involvement, and access of persons with disabilities within the community.
- Advise the Spokane County Board of County Commissioners on addressing the needs of persons with disabilities in emergency plans;
- Advise the county and other local governments within the county on access to programs, services and activities, new construction or renovation projects, sidewalks, other pedestrian routes of travel, and disability parking enforcement;
- Develop local initiatives and activities to promote greater awareness of disability issues, and acceptance, involvement, and access of persons with disabilities within the community;
- Conduct public hearings and other investigations to determine the needs and priorities of county residents with disabilities;
- Carry out other duties that the Spokane County Board of County Commissioners may request under the provisions of the State of Washington Accessible Communities Act (Chapter 215, Laws of 2010)
The ACAC Meets at least 4 times per year for 1 1/2 hours. Other meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Spokane County Code/WAC & RCW References
RCW 36.01.310; RCW 50.40.071 and RCW 29A.46.260
John Dickson, COO
It is the intention of the Spokane County Accessible Communities Advisory Committee to provide the accommodations necessary for full participation in its meetings.
Individuals requiring accommodations during our meetings, including but not limited to:
interpreter service; hearing loop; real-time captioning; large print; Braille; or recorded materials, are asked to contact Dave Reynolds, The Arc of Spokane, 509-789-8779, firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks in advance of the meeting.