Children's Waiting Room
The Children's Waiting Room is a free drop-in childcare program available to residents of Spokane County attending to business on the Spokane County Courthouse campus. Children between the ages of one and twelve are accepted into the program on a first-come, first-served basis. Parents or guardians attending to court business involving domestic (intimate partner) violence, however, are encouraged to call ahead to reserve space in the program.
- Program staff can be contacted at (509) 477-6815.
- The program is open from:
8:00 am - Noon and 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
The Center is located in the basement of the Broadway Centre Building at 721 North Jefferson in Room 101. Up to eight children can be served at one time.
The goal of the Children's Waiting Room program is to protect children from witnessing the upsetting courtroom events and reliving the traumatic home experience, as well as to empower victims of abuse with children to seek remedies to ensure their safety and the safety of their children. Objectives related to this goal include:
- providing a safe, nurturing, non-violent environment to 1,000 children per year whose parents are attending to court matters
- providing fun and educational activities that encourage children to forget about their anxiety and fear
- providing one-on-one care for anxious children by volunteers and staff
- creating community awareness about the program and services available
The majority of funding for the program is provided through Spokane County.
Contact the Program Coordinator, Tami Cunningham, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (509) 477-6815.