Detention Services - Food Service & Commissary
The Spokane County Detention Services - Food Services Division performs services in accordance with the mission, vision, goals, and objectives of the Spokane County Detention Services Department and in compliance with governing federal, state and local laws.
It is the responsibility of the Dentition Services kitchen staff to meet all nutritional requirements that are set forth by state RCW and federal RDA standards, while at the same time maintaining a safe, secure and sanitary environment. Food Services operate as one unit between two facilities, the Spokane County Jail and Geiger Corrections Center. Working in conjunction are two kitchen staffs comprised of up to 12 full time Cooks and 2 Food Managers. As well, over 70 inmate workers daily are used in the production of meals served. Inmates are served 3 meals a day and between the two facilities there are over 700,000 meals produced annually. Service of meals includes all inmates housed in the Spokane County Jail, which also involves meals and food related support for the Work Crew and Work Release programs. We also are contracted to provide meals to Spokane County Juvenile Detention. This partnership creates a substantial savings for Spokane County.
Inmates can purchase food or personal items from the jail commissary. Inmates receive commissary once a week. Funds must be on the inmates account by the time the inmate submits his/her order. Commissary items will be held for 3 days after an inmate is released
For information on how to put money on an inmate's commissary account see: Inmate Money
Jail Commissary schedule:
- Inmates housed in the East side of the jail facility receive commissary on Wednesdays.
- Inmates housed in the West side of the jail facility or the Annex, receive commissary on Thursdays.
- Inmates housed at Geiger Corrections Center receive commissary on Tuesdays.
- Money must be on the inmate's account by the time the inmate submits his commissary order.
- Delivery days and times may change due to weather, holidays and unforeseen circumstances.
- Commissary items will be held for 3 days after an inmate is released.