Solid Waste - Greenacres Landfill
The Greenacres Landfill was used as a dump site as early as the 1940's. In 1951 the property was deeded to the Greenacres Township for use as a municipal dump. Upon dissolution of the township governmental structure in Spokane County in 1967, the responsibility for operating and regulating the site passed on to the county, which retained responsibility for landfill operations until the site was closed in 1972.
During routine monitoring in 1978, the Department of Ecology (DOE) discovered contaminants in a nearby well. In 1983, as a result of the contamination found at that well, the site was nominated for Superfund eligibility. The Greenacres Landfill was placed on the National Priority List (NPL), in 1984.
In 1987, Woodward Clyde was hired to conduct a Remedial Investigation (RI)/Feasibility Study(FS). The RI was completed in 1989 and the FS in 1991.
In 1994, DOE issued an Enforcement Order requiring the County to monitor the groundwater for a number of indicator parameters over a three year period. We are now near the end of the three year monitoring period. Spokane County and the Department of Ecology are currently in consent decree negotiations which will likely include construction of a cover and long-term groundwater monitoring system.