Home Security Ideas
Improve Your Home Security
Select a category below to view a list of ideas to improve your home's security.
- Solid wood or metal on all exterior doors.
- Good deadbolt locks with 1" minimum throw.
- Use your locks - a lock is only useful if you use it.
- Be aware of the risks of windows in or near doors.
- Make sure your door hinges are not removable from the outside.
- Use a peep hole or side angle viewer in your doors.
- Secure strike plates with 3" minimum screws that penetrate the stud in the wall.
- Secure hinges with 3" or longer screws-You should have at least one 3" screw in each hinge (top, middle and bottom)
- Be cautious of mail slots and pet doors.
- Make sure your doorways are visible from the street and not obscured by shrubs, etc.
- Make sure your windows have good locking mechanisms
- Safety glaze is available to prevent glass being broken.
- Make sure windows are visible from the street and not obscured by shrubs, etc.
- Consider window coverings that prevent someone looking into the house.
- Be cautious of barring windows that may prevent your escape in case of a fire.
- Keep trees and shrubbery trimmed to prevent concealment for a potential burglar.
- Privacy fence may also create concealment for a burglar.
- Good exterior lighting on all sides of your house.
- Timers on lights give your house the lived-in look while your are away.
- Motion sensor lighting is also a valuable tool to prevent burglary and theft.
- Alarms are another valuable tool in preventing burglaries.
- Be a wise shopper. Consider the pros and cons of different systems and buy from a reputable company.
- Remember, like a lock, an alarm is only valuable if you use it.
Operation I.D. is a simple program that deters burglary and theft, as well as assists law enforcement in the event your property is stolen. You simply engrave your Washington Driver's license number on your property using the following format.
Washington State Driver's License Number
Once your items are marked, Operation I.D. stickers are available to place in your windows to advertise your participation in this program that deters crime. We encourage each Block Watch group to purchase an engraver, usually $10 - $20 at a local hardware store, and share it among the group members for marking of their valuables.