Equal Opportunity Employment and Americans with Disabilities Act
Spokane County is committed to equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), marital status, veteran, veteran with disability status, Vietnam era veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability or genetic information, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exits. View the Spokane County Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (PDF) and Americans with Disabilities Act.
Applicants seeking a request for testing accommodation can complete the form: Reasonable Accommodation Form and email it to the Chief Examiner at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of qualifications for all applicants for employment in the Spokane County Sheriff's Office:
• Must be a citizen of the United States of America or a lawful permanent resident, able to read and write the English language.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Must provide official transcripts from the school of your highest level of education and/or the transcript(s) showing proof of degree (see job posting for accepted methods of submission).
• Veteran's preference is granted in accordance with Washington State Law RCW 41.04.010. A copy of an applicant's DD-214 Member Form 4 is required for veteran’s preference to be applied.
• An individual may qualify to take the entrance examination for a classification which has a minimum age of 21, providing the individual will pass the minimum age by time of hire.
• Must meet physical requirements of the Spokane County Civil Service Commission established and verified by the Sheriff's Office as job related.
• Falsification of application will disqualify applicant.
• Applicant must qualify through background review and will be required to complete a polygraph screening covering background and character. Applicants must also qualify on a medical examination prior to appointment. Some positions require psychological evaluations.
Tests are given to establish eligible lists for each job classification. Consideration for hiring will be in order of grade standing on the eligible list as positions become available or need arises. No applicant will be given final certification for appointment until the applicant has satisfactorily qualified on the pre-employment background interview, oral boards, polygraph screening, medical examination and/or psychological evaluation.