Spokane County Sheriff’s Office
Free Online Training for the Public
I-1639 / RCW 9.41.090
The purpose of this training is to satisfy the requirements of the RCW 9.41.090, placed into effect by I-1639, which states:
- In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a semi-automatic assault rifle to the purchaser thereof until:
- The purchaser provides proof that he or she has completed a recognized firearm safety training program within the last five years that, at a minimum, includes instruction on:
- Basic firearms safety rules
- Firearms and children, including secure gun storage and talking to children about gun safety
- Firearms and suicide prevention
- Secure gun storage to prevent unauthorized access and use
- Safe handling of firearms
- State and federal firearms laws, including prohibited firearms transfers
First, you must Sign Up for the Free Class
If you wish to participate in this free online training opportunity, please contact the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Training Unit at SCSOTRAINING@SpokaneSheriff.org – Attn: Anthony Anderman (I-1639/RCW 9.41.090). Please include your full name and email address.
Once you email the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Training Unit, within 5 business days, you will receive registration information for an online training platform called Moodlecloude. Just follow all the instructions, and you will be ready to take the online class. To successfully complete the class and print your certificate, you must receive a 100% on the written test. The entire course should take approximately 35-45 minutes to complete.