Homeowner Information

Below you will find some useful information in regard to Property Taxes

Property Tax Explanation

Click here for a brief explanation of how taxes are calculated and distributed. Including simple examples of each.

Calendar / Due Dates

Click here for 2021 property tax due date information

 Tax statements are mailed no later than March 15th of each year. Current year first half property taxes are due by April 30th. Second half property taxes are due by October 31st. If the tax amount is less than $50, the entire amount is due April 30th. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a County observed holiday, then payment will be accepted the next business day.

For billing and other tax questions, contact the Treasurer's Office.

Interest / Penalties / Fees

Delinquent taxes are subject to interest and penalties calculated as follows:
  • Interest is charged at the rate of 12% per year computed at 1% per month on the full amount of tax owed.
  • Penalty is charged at 3% on the full year amount of tax unpaid on June 1st of the year in which the tax Is due and an additional penalty of 8% on the amount of tax delinquent on December 1st of the year in which the tax is due.
Note: Stormwater, Flood and Irrigation are not assessed penalty. Aquifer is not assessed interest or penalty.

If our office has mailed the tax statement to the address provided by the taxpayer or the taxpayer's agent (such as a closing attorney) under Washington law, we cannot waive the interest and/or penalty if the payment is late.

Tax Rates

Please refer to the Assessor's Office for more information.

Payment Options

The Spokane County Treasurer's Office offers many convenient ways to pay your taxes.
  • Pay Online: Taxes can be paid with eCheck or using your credit card. A fee set by the vendor is charged for processing these payments. Click here for more information on how to pay online, or to begin the payment process.
  • Telephone: Taxes can be paid by eCheck, debit or credit card using our Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. A fee set by the vendor is charged for processing these payments.  Call our main phone number at 509-477-4713
  • Mail: Return original tax stubs and check or money order payable to:
    Spokane County Treasurer
    P.O. Box 199
    Spokane, WA 99210
  • In Person: In response to the Governor's State of Emergency proclamation and guidance from the CDC, the Treasurer's Office is offering Virtual Customer Service until further notice. Customers will not be served at the counter space. In person property tax payments may be made at one of three drop boxes located at street level on W. Broadway Ave. outside the Courthouse, inside the main entrance of the Courthouse and in the Courthouse Annex.
  • MoneyGram: Cash payments can be made at any MoneyGram location nationwide. There are over 40,000 retail agent locations including 12,000+ CVS Pharmacy and Walmart locations. Many with extended hours. Please contact a MoneyGram location near you for operating hours. A Spokane County Parcel number is required for making a payment which can be found on your tax statement, on our website or by calling our office at 509-477-4713. A Receiver Code (shown below) is also necessary when making a Tax or Improvement District payment at a MoneyGram location.
    • Real and Personal Property Tax - Receiver Code: 14557
    • Improvement District Assessment - Receiver Code: 14556

Tax Statements

Property tax statements are mailed once per year and contain two payment coupons for payments due April 30th and October 31st. If you have not received a statement by March 31st, please contact the Treasurer's Office or call 509-477-4713. It's possible we may have an incorrect mailing address, a mortgage company may be paying your taxes, or we may be holding the statement for an adjustment that needs to be made prior to mailing (i.e. senior or disability exemptions). Failure to receive a Property Tax Statement does not exempt the taxpayer from timely payment of the taxes due. If you have not received a Tax Statement by March 31st, please contact us at 509-477-4713 or fill out a Statement Request form to request a copy of your current statement.

Due to a change in state law, beginning in 2020 all taxpayers receive a full paper statement, including those whose property taxes are paid through escrow. For those who have their taxes paid through escrow, this may be the first time you have received a full tax statement instead of an informational postcard. Under Washington Law, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to insure taxes are paid on their property.

Change the Name or Address

If you wish to change the name or mailing address on your statement, please contact our office. You can also change your name/address online or download the request form. Click here for more information. You may only request a taxpayer change through the Treasurer's Office.

Any request for owner name/address change must be done through the Assessor's Office. A legal document such as a deed, real estate contract, divorce decree, death certificate, or a court document must be provided. Please remember to include your parcel number(s) for any of these requests.

Mortgage Paid Off / New Mortgage Company

When a taxpayer pays off a mortgage during the tax year, they must contact this office to update their billing information and request a duplicate bill. You may only request a taxpayer change through the Treasurer's Office.

Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the responsibility for payment, nor constitute cause for cancelation of interest, penalty and/or cost charges if the tax bill becomes delinquent.

Misplaced Statement

If you have misplaced your statement, a new one can be faxed, e-mailed or mailed to you. You can also request a statement online or download the request form. For more information, go to the Forms section.

Helpful Resources

If you have further questions, please see our FAQ page with much more information in regards to taxes and assessments.

If you have suggestions for items we could add to this page, please let us know by filling out a Contact Form.