Recently Released Suspect, Previously Charged with Attempted Murder, Arrested for 1st Degree Murder after Fatal Stabbing at Homeless Camp
Spokane Valley Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Detectives arrested 40-year-old Jordan D. Knippling following a fatal stabbing at a homeless camp near I-90 and Sullivan. Knippling had been in jail since May 10, 2019, charged with Attempted Murder 1st Degree following the violent assault of his roommate, who was stabbed multiple times but survived. Before the May 2019 stabbing, Knippling was released on his own recognizance by the courts on April 28, 2019, the day after he was arrested for two felony counts of Assault 3rd Degree after he punched two health care workers during an examination.
On May 31, 2020, at approximately 11:30 p.m., Spokane Valley Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the report of a stabbing near I-90 and Sullivan in Spokane Valley.
Deputies arrived within minutes, locating the 53-year-old adult male victim lying on the ground, bleeding from what appeared to be multiple stab wounds to his torso. The victim was provided immediate medical care and transported to a hospital where he died hours later.
Additional Deputies established a perimeter for a K9 search. A short time later, Knippling was observed exiting some brush near the scene and was taken into custody. Deputies noted Knippling appeared to have fresh bloodstains on his hands.
Major Crimes Detectives responded to the scene to continue the investigation of this violent and eventually fatal assault. Knippling invoked his rights and declined to answer questions.
Investigators learned Knippling was contacted by Deputies in the same area for disorderly conduct approximately 30 minutes prior to the reported stabbing. At that time, Knippling was involved in what appeared to be a heated argument with another transient (not the victim). After calming the situation and learning no crime had been committed, the transients were warned that they were trespassing and would need to move their camp.
The Medical Examiner’s Office determined the victim had been stabbed at least 13-times. The wounds were consistent with a single-edged folding blade knife, similar to the bloodstained knife investigators located behind a tent, containing Knippling’s property, after a search warrant was obtained.
Knippling was not cooperative with investigators during the evidence collection process after a search warrant was obtained. He was also resistive with jail staff during the intake and booking procedure.
Knippling was booked into the Spokane County Jail for 2nd Degree Murder and charges were later upgraded to Murder 1st Degree. He is being held on a $1,000,000 bond.
Timeline of Recent Events Regarding 2nd Degree Murder Arrestee Jordan Knippling
- 042719: Arrested for 2 Counts of Assault III (2-Health Care Workers) at Valley Hospital for punching them during a medical exam. At that time, he went to the hospital for medical treatment on his own. He was booked into the Spokane County Jail and released on his own recognizance the next day.
- 051019: Arrested for 1 Count Attempted 1st Degree Murder-DV (Victim was his roommate).
- 051119 to 042820: Held in custody pending competency hearings at ESH for Attempted Murder 1st-DV. Deemed mentally competent.
- 042820: All charges for Attempted Murder 1st-DV dropped (without prejudice) due to the victim and witnesses’ lack of cooperation and recantation.
- 051420: Plead and found guilty of 2 Counts of Assault III (Health Care Workers 042719). 12-months of WA DOC supervision included. However, he was released due to having been in custody for 370 days on the Attempted 1st Murder-DV (credit for time served).
- Thursday 052820: Arrested for Panhandling and booked into the Spokane County Jail due to his aggressive behavior.
- Friday 052920: Charges of Pan Handling dropped by the prosecutor’s office. Although he was on WA DOC with common restrictions (no further law violations, take meds, etc.), Spokane County Jail will not take WA DOC warrants or violations at this time. WA DOC must respond and take their WA DOC violations to Airway Heights to be booked).
- Sunday 053120, 2306 hrs: Seen arguing with another transient and threatening the other transient with a piece of wood from a tree at I-90 and Sullivan (non-DV). Deputies stop, briefly investigated, and told Knippling and the other transients to leave the WA DOT land as they are trespassing.
- Sunday 053120, 2332 hrs: After the argument, Deputies were called back to the scene to a report of a stabbing. As time went on, Knippling was developed as the suspect. The victim later died at the hospital due to the stabbing, resulting in 2nd Degree Murder charges. Charges were later upgraded to 1st Degree Murder. The victim of the homicide was not the participant in the argument that happened a few minutes before the homicidal event.