"Washington State law requires that all mercury-containing lights be recycled, as mercury is a potent neurotoxin. Although a single fluorescent light contains a very small amount of mercury, millions of these lights are sold every year in Washington State. Taken together, the mercury from fluorescent lights and HIDs has potential to harm human health and the environment if not properly recycled.
Unbroken lights are safe to handle and use. Disposing of mercury-containing lights in regular garbage can cause the mercury to be released if they break. Recycling these lights prevents the mercury from being released. Since mercury can vaporize at room temperature, it could be released from broken lights in your home, in landfills, or at any point in-between. Mercury can be particularly harmful to children, infants and fetuses by impairing neurological development." - LightRecycle.org
The Spokane County North and Valley Transfer Stations accept up to 10 bulbs, tubes or lamps per day at the Household Hazardous Waste area, free of charge for residents, on Saturdays and Sundays. The Waste to Energy Facility accepts Household Hazardous waste 7 days a week and will also take up to 10 lights per day.
The Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) program provides two drop-off locations for hazardous wastes. Businesses can call 509-202-7397 to schedule an appointment at the North or Valley Transfer Stations on Saturdays and Sundays. You must be an exempt hazardous waste generator per all applicable regulations.