SPOKANE COUNTY, May 1, 2018 – The North County Transfer Station is open for business and the three employees who were affected in yesterday’s spill were released by 6:30 Monday night and are doing fine.
According to Clean Harbors Environmental Services, Inc., a gallon container of a pesticide used for spraying trees was in a load of garbage that included additional chemicals. During compaction on the tipping floor, the container burst and released a toxic cloud. While no one was seriously injured, it’s a good reminder that household hazardous wastes should NEVER be thrown away with garbage or recyclables.
For more information, go to www.spokanecounty.org/es, click on Got Trash/Recycling, then Disposal and Household Hazardous Waste or call 509.477.6800.
The Spokane County Regional Solid Waste System thanks Waste Connections, Fire District 4, and Clean Harbors for their quick response, and Deaconess and Sacred Heart Medical Centers.